Information & Communication Technology
Big Data Engineer
Big Data Engineers create and manage a company's data infrastructure and tools.
What does a Big Data Engineer do?
Big Data Engineers create and manage a company's data infrastructure and tools. They develop, construct, test and maintain architectures, such as databases and large-scale processing systems.
As a big data engineer, you would:
- design the architecture for specialised database and computing environments for specialised data analysis
- design and maintain relational databases for storage and data acquisition
- select and integrate any Big Data tools and frameworks required to provide required data analysis capabilities
- work closely with data scientists and data analysts to design complex algorithms to conduct advanced data analysis
- provide on-going tracking and performance monitoring of infrastruture for decision systems and statistical software.
Key skills and interests
To become a big data engineer, you would need:
- highly developed computer programming and coding skills
- the ability to communicate technical concepts in non-technical language
- highly developed analytical skills
- mathematics and statistical skills of the highest order
- experience with a broad range of big data tools, software and architectures
- strong organisational and project management skills
- to work well as part of a team.
Working hours and conditions
You would usually work standard office hours, Monday to Friday.
You could work as an employee for a company that develops data analytics software, within a corporate environment, or as a consultant developing highly specialised, bespoke data mining infrastructure / architecture solutions for clients.
You would normally work in an office. You may also travel to meet clients and to attend conferences, industry and networking events.
How to become an Big Data Engineer?
Entry Level Education
To become a big data engineer, you would need to complete a Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics or computer engineering.
To get into bachelor’s degree courses you usually need to gain your senior secondary school certificate or equivalent. English, mathematics, computing and coding subjects would be appropriate subjects to study prior to university.
Employment for big data engineers is projected to grow faster than the average for all jobs.
While data engineering is a relatively small occupation in Australia, it is growing strongly, both locally and internationally. There will continue to be increasing opportunities for employment, as companies across all industries look to use or better use big data and data mining to understand and reach their customer base.