Migration Agent

Migration agents are registered professionals who provide assistance to clients on migrating to, or remaining in, Australia.

  • Entry-level education

    Bachelor's degree + professional registration

  • Job outlook

    1 2 3 4 5

What does a Migration Agent do?

Migration agents are registered professionals who provide assistance to clients on migrating to, or remaining in, Australia. Migration agents may also be known as migration consultants.


Work activities

As a migration agent, you would:

  • provide information and advice to potential migrants
  • advise clients on the most applicable visa for their situation
  • prepare documents or forms and lodge visa applications
  • represent clients during visa processing
  • represent clients before review bodies
  • liaise with legal professionals with regard to court proceedings
  • advise clients of visa outcomes or any issues that arise
  • assist clients with arranging local necessities, such as a bank account.

Key skills and interests

To become a migration agent, you would need:

  • a thorough understanding of immigration laws and practices
  • excellent writing and communication skills
  • good organisational skills
  • problem solving skills
  • a caring and compassionate demeanour
  • good interpersonal skills
  • to be at least 18 years of age
  • to be assessed as being of good character.

Working hours and conditions

Working Hours

As a migration agent you would usually work a standard number of hours each week. Depending on where your client is, you may be required to work weekends or evenings to suit their timezone.


You would work in an office, law firm or home office. You may spend time in meetings, in court or visiting the necessary Government departments or organisations to lodge documents or discuss cases.


How to become an Migration Agent?

Entry Level Education

To become a migration agent you must hold a current legal practising certificate authorised in Australia or have completed the Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and passed the related assessment.

To become a lawyer you usually have to complete a degree in law at university. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your senior secondary school certificate or equivalent. English, maths and ethics would be appropriate subjects to study prior to university.

If you are providing immigration advice, you must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.


Job outlook

  • 1 2 3 4 5

Employment opportunities for migration agents are expected to grow at about the average rate.

Net migration numbers are determined by federal government policy, and although visa classes and regulations may change, total migration numbers and quotas may not. Net migration numbers will always be a factor in determining employment opportunities for migration agents.


CareerHQ Compass

Discover the path to your future

How can CareerHQ Compass help you?