Advertising & Arts
Models promote and advertise a variety of products, clothing and fashion accessories.
Junior secondary school certificate or equivalent
What does a Model do?
Models pose for artists, photographers, fashion buyers, media and the public, to help promote and advertise a variety of products, clothing and fashion accessories.
As a model, you would:
- wear clothing and accessories in both print and online adverts
- promote products in tv commercials
- wear designers’ clothing for runway fashion shows
- pose for artists and photographers
- work with a team of specialist including photographers, hair and clothing stylists, makeup artists, and clients to achieve the hoped for look
- create and maintain a portfolio of their work
- conduct research on the product being promoted
- answer questions from consumers about the products.
Key skills and interests
To become a model, you would need:
- good personal appearance and grooming
- fashion sense and awareness of trends
- an outgoing personality
- confidence, discipline and dedication
- good communication and people skills
- to be a minimum height for some types of modelling.
Working hours and conditions
Working hours could be long and irregular, depending on the type and amount of work you have.
You could work in fashion show venues, showrooms and stores, photographic studios or various other locations depending on the needs of a photo shoot. The job can involve a lot of travel.
How to become an Model?
Entry Level Education
You can work as a model without formal qualifications.
Prospective models are assessed for their suitability by a modelling agency. If successful, the agency will arrange for a photographic folio to be made to help you obtain work. The agency would then promote you to local and perhaps international clients.
In choosing a modelling agency, you should make sure that the agency has a good reputation and is well established in the industry. The modelling agency may charge for training, if required, but reputable agencies do not charge money to register. They will charge for photographic portfolios.
Employment of models is projected to Employment of models is projected to show little or no change.
This occupation attracts many applicants and competition for jobs will be strong.