Sales, Marketing and Communications
Digital Marketing Officer
Digital marketing officers promote a company's products or services online.
What does a Digital Marketing Officer do?
As a digital marketing officer, you would promote your employer's products, services or ideas online. You may also be known as an online marketing or internet marketing officer.
As a digital marketing officer, you would:
- create marketing campaigns for digital and online channels including websites, apps and social media
- develop online market research surveys
- get feedback from customers in focus groups
- work with graphic and web designers on advertising campaigns
- write content for websites, email and social media
- use web tracking tools to analyse data and check the effectiveness of marketing campaigns
- use techniques like search engine optimisation (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) to improve internet search results for your company's website
- keep up-to-date with digital marketing trends.
Key skills and interests
To become a digital marketing officer, you would need:
- excellent spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to analyse data
- a creative approach
- strong organisational and planning skills
- to work well as part of a team
- an interest in and knowledge of digital trends.
Working hours and conditions
You would usually work standard hours, Monday to Friday.
You could work as an employee for an organisation's marketing or analytics department, or you may work for a digital advertising agency, and work with a number of clients.
You would normally work in an office. You may also travel to meet clients and to attend conferences, industry and networking events.
How to become an Digital Marketing Officer?
Entry Level Education
To become a digital marketing officer, you should have a degree in business, communications or commerce with a major in marketing. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your senior secondary school certificate or equivalent. English and mathematics would be appropriate subjects to study prior to university.
Students and graduates of marketing degrees may be eligible for membership of the Australian Marketing Institute or the Australian Market and Social Research Society.
Employment of digital marketing officers is projected to grow about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Advertising, promotional, and marketing campaigns will continue to be essential for organisations as they look to maintain and expand their share of the market. The growth of online marketing, and the greater emphasis on targeting customers through the use of SEO / websites, social media, or live chats, will mean continuing opportunities for digital marketing officers.